With many of us now at home with a lot more free time on our hands, now is a great time to experiment with a bit of homebaking. We have previously seen some fantastic recipes using Solway Spirits gins shared by our followers on social media, and so we thought we’d share our own recipe for this fabulous boozy drizzle cake. As it includes our delicious Raspberry Ripple Gin Liqueur it’s for adults only, however if you’re baking with children simply leave the gin out of the drizzle.
- 250g self-raising flour (If you don’t have self-raising flour, just add 2 teaspoons of baking powder into 225g plain flour instead)
- 225g unsalted butter (softened), plus extra to greasy the cake tin
- 300g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 150g fresh raspberries
- 2 lemons
- 100ml Solway Spirits Raspberry Ripple Gin Liqueur
- Mint leaves (optional)
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C/fan 160°C.
- Using a large bowl, mix together the butter and 225g of caster sugar until the mixture is creamy and pale.
- Add your eggs to mixture, one egg at a time whilst slowly mixing.
- Sift in the self-raising flour, along with the zest of the lemon (save for juicing) and mix until combined.
- Grease your loaf tin with some butter and pour the mixture in.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the cake has risen and turned golden. Tip: You can check your cake is cooked by inserting into the middle – if it comes out clean, it’s ready!
- Remove the cake from oven and allow to cool.
- Now it’s time for the drizzle! Combine the juice of two lemons with the remaining caster sugar and gin. Pierce the cake all over with a skewer and pour the icing mixture over.
- Decorate your cake with fresh raspberries and a few mint leaves for colour if desired.
Voila! Your cake is now ready to enjoy – serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if you’re feeling extra indulgent!
We’ll be posting more recipes soon. Until then, stay safe from all of us here at Solway Spirits.